Amelia Island's tower was constructed in 1820 at Great Cumberland Island, Georgia, and moved to this site in 1838. It was further modified several times during the 1880's and early 1900's. A third-order lens replaced the 14 lamps with reflectors in 1857. The red sector in the lamp warns ships approaching toward the shoals. Amelia Island Light is still active.
Located at mouth of the St. Mary's River, the tower is in a residential area, and unfortunately the only way to get near it is over private property. The nearby town of Fernandina, however, is open for business and is quite inviting.