The first-order lens originally installed in the 1874 tower was replaced with an automatic flashing beacon for a time after vandalism damage in 1986, but the original lens is now restored to full operation. The lens makes one rotation every 90 seconds, with three bulls-eyes giving St. Augustine its characteristic flash every 30 seconds.
This light is a duplicate of the many built in the 1870's (Bodie, St. Simon's, Currituck) Both the tower and a wonderful museum in the keeper's house are open 10-4:30 daily (904-829-0745). The view from the top of the tower is spectacular, and the grounds are beautiful, surrounded by live oak trees. This entire site is immaculately restored and presented.