Coquille River Light

Bandon, Oregon

Coquille River Light was the last built on the Oregon coast, completed in 1896. The short 40 ft. tower and small Fourth Order lens served to guide ships across the treacherous bar at the entrance to the river. In those days, the river port of Bandon was a center for shipping the lumber of Oregon's rich forests.

Coquille River served for just over four decades, replaced by an automated beacon on the jetty in 1939. After many years of neglect and deterioration, the Oregon State Parks began restoration in 1976. Today, the lighthouse's unusual High Victorian Italiante architecture can be admired from the waterfront streets of Bandon, which are lined with shops and restauants. The light can also be visited up close in Bullard's Beach State Park.