Drum Point Light
Solomon's Island, Maryland
This style of lighthouse is known as screw-pile, and it was once common on the Chesapeake
Bay. The Drum Point light was first activated in 1883, but today it has been moved to serve as
a museum on Solomon's Island, at the mouth of the Patuxent River.
Drum Point Light retains its fourth-order lens, common to harbor and bay lights. The
hexagonal keeper's cottage has been restored with furnishings just as it might have looked
at the turn of the century.