The rock was purchased from Queen Victoria in 1882 and work on the lighthouse began, with the light established January 1st, 1889. It was converted from oil-gas to vaporised paraffin in 1910, then electrified in 1974. Bull Rock was automated in 1991.
Bull Rock Replaced the Dursey Island Light, set up when the Calf Rock was destroyed. It is 83 meters above sea level and has a range of 23 nautical miles.
The Bull attracts many birds, including Fulmars, Kittiwakes, Storm Petrel, Razorbills, Guillemots, and Puffins.