This light sits on a bluff overlooking the western banks of the Genesee River where it empties into Lake Ontario. From the Seaway Trail (Lake Shore Blvd.), take Lake Avenue, turning north and looking for Holy Cross Church. The light is behind the church.
This beautiful octagonal limestone tower was constructed in 1822, with the brick residence added in 1863. In 1853 the tower was modernized with the addition of a fourth order Fresnel lens. The light was taken out of service in 1881, and was nearly demolished in the 1960's. Students at Charlotte High School launched a campaign to save the lighthouse, and it is now a wonderfully restored site.
There is a fine museum with the lighthouse, open from May to Mid-October on weekend afternoons from 1 to 5pm.