The Graves Light
Boston Harbor, Massachusetts
This 113 foot granite block tower guides ships through the north channel into Boston's inner harbor. Built on a rock ledge in 1905, the station is named for Vice Admiral Thomas Graves. Originally fitted with a First-order fresnel lens, the present optic is a DCB-224 beacon which flashes twice every 12 seconds.
The Graves Light can be seen from it's neighboring light, Boston Light. The photo above was taken from Little Brewster Island, which is a mile or two away from the Graves Light. It's an unusual tower, in that the keeper's quarters are incorporated. The lowest level is a huge cistern, and higher levels included a machine room, kitchen, sleeping quarters, and living area.