Just south of San Francisco, next to Moss Beach, Point Montara Light guides the southern approach to the Golden Gate. After a series of shipwrecks in the mid-1800's, a fog signal was installed at this site in 1872, but it wasn't until 1900 that a lighthouse was erected. The current 30 foot tower replaced the original in 1928.
Today Pt. Montara is still an active aid to navigation, with its light visible for 14 miles at sea. The grounds and keepers buildings are now used as a youth hostel.
Thanks to Bill Foster for the Pt. Montara photos.