Passage Island Lighthouse

Isle Royale, Michigan

Built in 1882, Passage Island Light is the northernmost American lighthouse on the Great Lakes. Located across the channel from the northeastern end of Isle Royale, it serves to guide ships into Thunder Bay.

The Norman Gothic residence has a 44 ft octagonal rubblestone tower built into one corner. The light was originally a fixed red shining through a Fourth Order lens, but was replaced in 1989 with a 190 mm plastic lens.

The Coast Guard maintains the station, but it is leased to the National Park Service, which provides boat service for visitors from Isle Royale National Park.