Portland Breakwater Light
South Portland, Maine
This unusual lighthouse was erected in 1875, modeled after the
Choragic Monument of Lysicrates of ancient Athens. The six
Corinthian columns originally held up a fourth-order fresnel lens
with a red beam.
The water around the breakwater has long been filled in, and the light
known affectionately as the Bug Light stands amidst an oil pipeline
terminus and an industrial park, its lens removed.