Rockland's harbor is quite wide and unprotected, so a mile-long breakwater was constructed in the early 1800's. A first small tower was put on the breakwater in 1827. The present gambrel-roofed fog signal building with attached square lighthouse tower was built in 1902, and originally fitted with a fourth-order lens with a flashing white light.
The light is easy to reach from the north side of Rockland, following signs to Samoset resort. The huge granite blocks form a level surface that makes for a nice walk out to the light.
One of the attractions in Rockport is Ken Black's Shore Village Museum, which has one of the best collections of lighthouse lenses in the world.