This lightstation marks the southeastern entrance to the Sturgeon Bay canal. It is currently a coast guard station, but visitors are allowed to walk down to the pierhead to fish or view the lighthouses. There are two lights at this location, the first built on the breakwater in 1882. The red steel structure still has the original Sixth Order lens, shining a red light.
The white skeletal steel tower was built in 1898. The keeper's quarter's were large enough to support 3 keepers at the site. The tower was originally designed with very little bracing, and suffered from severe vibration from the strong winds in the area. Modifications in 1903 provided more bracing to the tower and solved the vibration problem. The 98 foot tall tower retains a Third Order Fresnel lens which alternates red and white flashes.