This light sits a few miles west of the village of Cape Vincent, NY, at the point where the St. Lawrence River joins Lake Ontario. Follow Lighthouse Road from the center of town.
A tower was originally built here in 1827 on a parcel of land owned by Captain John Tibbet. The present 69-foot tower was constructed in 1869 and equipped with a 4th order Fresnel lens. A fog whistle is part of the site, and can be seen protruding from the building near the tower. The white stucco tower is beautifully maintained, and is still an active aid to navigation maintained by the Coast Guard.
The lighthouse shares Tibbets Point with an American Youth Hostel that is open from May 15 to October 15 (315-654-3450). There is also a fine gift shop and picnic tables. Tibbets Point is a beautiful and peaceful location to stop and enjoy the view.