The Civil War was hard on Tybee Light. The Confederates burned out the interior to prevent its use by the Union army. After the war a new light was built, using the lower 60 feet of the original as a foundation. Tybee's new 154 foot tower was fitted with a new 9 ft. tall first-order fresnel lens which was first lit on October 1, 1867. This tower and lens have remained in use until the present time, although the pattern of black and white markings has changed over the years.
Today Tybee Light is maintained by the Tybee Island Historical Society which maintains the grounds as a museum through a lease with the Coast Guard, which maintains the still-active light. Tybee is very unusual in that all of its support buildings are intact. The site includes a headkeeper's house, two assistant keeper's houses, a summer kitchen, and fuel storage building. The tower is open for climbing and there is a gift shop. A restoration campain is currently under way.
A fine art print of this lighthouse is available for purchase.