Yaquina Bay Lighthouse

Newport, Oregon

Why does this modest lighthouse stand only a few miles south of the tall tower at Yaquina Head? That's exactly what the Lighthouse Board wondered before they closed it, only three years after its completion in 1871.

The original Fifth Order lens is long gone, and the structure has experienced lengthy periods of neglect, but today it is immaculately restored and filled with period furniture. The light was re-activated in 1996. An exceptional gift shop in the basement is worth the visit.

Yaquina Bay Lighthouse is located in a state park at the north end of the Yaquina Bay Bridge.

This document was created with the assistance of
WebMania!™ 1.1 (Unregistered) - ©1995 Q&D Software Development - http://www.q-d.com