This 40-foot tower of natural fieldstone was constructed in 1829 in response to increased shipping traffic after the opening of the Erie Canal. It was de-activated in 1859. The light had a very innovative fuel system, consisting of a wooden pipeline running from a nearby pocket of natural gas, burning 11 lamps with 14-inch reflectors. The lighthouse thus became the first public building in the US lit by natural gas. To this day there is a gas street light shining from the tower.