The light at Point Gratiot was constructed in 1875, and is still an active aid to navigation. The 61 foot tower still has its original third order Fresnel lens. The light's 17-mile range makes Dunkirk one of the most prominent on Lake Erie.
The red-brick Victorian Gothic keeper's house now features a museum run by an Armed Forces Memorial Park corporation. The grounds reflect the military presence, with high iron fences making an approach to the lighthouse impossible outside of normal visiting hours. On the grounds of the lighthouse sits one of the old Bottle Lights from Buffalo's breakwater.
Call 716-366-5050 for information.