The original lighthouse was built in 1825, when this part of Ohio was wilderness. In 1871 a new 69 foot sandstone tower was constructed and fitted with a third order Fresnel lens. This light served until 1925, when a new light was installed on the Fairport Harbor breakwater. The breakwater light is still active.
A part of the Old Fairport Light facility is a wonderful Marine Museum. The original third order lens is on display as well as many other Great Lakes maritime exhibits. Open Wednesdays, weekends, and holidays during the summer. 216-354-4825